(7. 4. 1922 - 31. 8. 1985)
By ovzan Boris pilot 42 Fighter Regiment Captain. Born April 7, 1922 in the town now mines in Rostov region in the family of employees. Russian. Member of the CPSU since 1945. He graduated from the 8 classes in the town of Bobruisk, Mogilev region. In the Red Army from 1939. He graduated from the Odessa Military Aviation Pilot School.
In Private World War II from 1941. Pilot 42 Fighter Regiment (Bryansk Front) Komsomolets Lieutenant Kovzan B.I. fighting account was opened in August 1941, shooting down a bomber Do-215.
October 29, 1941 on the MiG-3 flew in support of ground attack aircraft in the area of the city Zagorska Moscow region. In an air battle with 4 Me-109 knocked out one of them, but spent the entire ammunition. Upon returning to their base at an altitude of 5000 m found an air reconnaissance of the enemy Ju-88. In order not to give him away, Kovzan decided to ram. He went "Junkers" back to level the bottom and the speed. Then he opened the throttle abruptly and took the pen over. The blow shook the entire fighter, but Kovzan lost control. "Junkers", tumbling, and went to the ground. Landed on its airfield.
February 22, 1942 Lieutenant Kovzan in the Most High Volochko YAK-1 bomber rammed an enemy. Landed the damaged plane.
July 8, 1942 near the village Lobnitsy Novgorod region in a dog fight on the same plane rammed an enemy fighter. Landed the damaged plane.
The pilot of the same regiment (240 th Fighter Division, 6-th Air Army, the North-Western Front) Lieutenant Kovzan B.I. by mid-July 1942 carried out 142 sorties, he personally shot down 3 and in group 1 enemy aircraft.
August 13, 1942 near the town of Staraya Russa captain Kovzan plane La-5 found a group of 7 Ju-88 and 6 of the Me-109. The enemy has already noticed our fighter and Kovzanu had to enter into an unequal battle. Not paying attention to the fighter escort, Kovzan rushed to the "Junkers". One Me-109 tried to stand in his way, but after the tag line puffed and began to fall. Suddenly the enemy of all struck by the cab. One bullet hit Kovzanu in the right eye. He tries to throw a parachute, but the forces did not have. At this time, appeared in front of the "Junkers" and Kovzan sent his burning plane it. The blow both aircraft disintegrated into pieces. Our pilot ejected from the cab through the open lamp. From a height of 6000 meters, he fell into a swamp and it saved his life. During the fall, broke his left leg, arm and several ribs. It was his fourth ram! Farmers came to the rescue pulled the pilot out of the mire and took him to the partisans, but those did not come into the consciousness of pilot flown to Moscow.
. August 24, 1943 for their courage and bravery shown in combat with the enemy, Boris Ivanovich Kovzanu was awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union.
. Kovzan spent 10 months in hospitals
. After the hospital has permission to serve with one eye in fighter. Until the end of the war shot down another 6 enemy aircraft, bringing the personal account to 28.
Fter the war he continued service in the aviation. In 1954 he graduated from the Air Force Academy. Since 1958, colonel Kovzan - in stock. He lived in Ryazan, worked as head Aeroclub. Then a retired colonel Kovzan lived in Minsk. Awarded 2 orders of Lenin, the Order of the Red Banner, World War 1 degree, the Red Star and medals.
. In action on Aug. 31, 1985.
Biography provided by AE Melnikov
. 1) Aviation and Space USSR
. - Moscow: Military Publishing, 1968.
2) Air Force: Encyclopedia. - Moscow: Great Encyclopedia of Russia, 1994.
3) The immortal feats. - Moscow: Military Publishing, 1980
4) Vazhiny FA. Air ram. - 2 ed., Lane. and additional .- Moscow: Military Publishing, 1962.
5) Air Defense Forces in WWII. - Moscow: Military Publishing, 1981
6) Heroes of the Soviet Union: A Brief Biographical Dictionary. V.1. M.: Voeniz.1987.
7) Zhukova LN. I choose the ram. - M.: Young Guard, 1985.
8) Zimin, GV. Fighters. - Moscow: Military Publishing, 1988
9) Who was who in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945.Kr.spr.-M.: Republic, 1995.
10) On the verge of a possible. - 2 ed., Corr. and additional. - M.: "Limb", 1993.
11) In the North-Western Front (1941-1943). - M: Nauka, 1969
12) Forever in the heart of the national. 3rd ed., Ext. and Corr. Minsk, 1984,
13) In Natykin. Remember their names. - Novgorod, 1981
14) Polynin F.P. Attack routes. - Moscow: Military Publishing, 1981
15) The Soviet pilots in the battles for the Motherland. - M.: DOSAAF, 1963
16) Fedorov A.G. The pilots on the protection of Moscow. - M.: Nauka, 1979
17) Shingarev SI. I'm going to ram. - Tula: Priokskoe kn. ed., 1966
18) Shipulya L. Four battering ram in the sky. - Minsk, 1982
19) Shmelev N.A. Fire from heaven. - Yaroslavl: Upper Volga Prince. ed., 1972