The 80s heartthrob collapsed in his mother`s California apartment on March 10. He was pronounced dead upon arrival at hospital.
Police found four bottles of prescription pills in his bedroom, prompting them to speculate he died of an accidental drug overdose. Haim`s mother furiously denied his death was caused by drugs, insisting he had died of pulmonary congestion.
The Los Angeles County Coroner`s Office has now released its official report on Haim`s death, which rules that he passed away due to "natural causes". The documents, obtained by gossip website TMZ, cite "respiratory distress" as the cause of death, as well as a condition known as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which resulted in Haim`s heart becoming enlarged, making it harder for blood to flow. Haim was also suffering from diffused alveolar damage, community acquired pneumonia, and coronary arteriosclerosis, which all contributed to his death.
Toxicology reports found traces of several drugs in the actor`s system, but ruled that levels were not high enough to have contributed to his death.
The coroner`s office also released a statement from Haim`s mother Judy, in which she revealed she flushed his prescription pills down the toilet after his death because she didn`t want them to fall into the wrong hands.
"She emptied the other bottles into the toilet because she didn`t want anyone else to get hold of the medication and she didn`t know the police would be responding to her residence," the document reads.
Judy also told officials that her son had smoked marijuana in the two days preceding his death.
Judy is thrilled the coroner has ruled drug played no part in her son`s death. She says she feels "vindicated" and can now start to grieve Haim-s loss properly.
"It`s a positive thing," Judy told RadarOnline. "I really can`t say more than that, but yes, it`s a good thing. I feel vindicated."
Haim, a former child star, was 38 years old when he died.