After months of investigations, the actor was charged by officers in Los Angeles on 11.03.11 and will accept a plea agreement to resolve the case in court later this afternoon.
The charge relates to an argument between the `Apocalypto` director and his then girlfriend - with whom he has a seven-month old daughter, Lucia - at the beginning of last year.
A police record of charge against Mel reads: "On or about January 6, 2010, in the County of Los Angeles, the crime of battery- a misdemeanor, was committed by Mel Gibson, who did willfully and unlawfully use force and violence upon the person of Oksana G."
Details of the plea agreement have not been made public, but it is understood Mel will undergo counselling and not serve jail time over the incident.
Mel - who has seven other children with his ex-wife Robyn - had previously said in a written declaration he slapped Oksana during an argument because she was hysterical, but denies hitting her.
A statement from Mel`s lawyer, Blair Berk, made earlier this week said he accepted the plea deal to escape a long court fight.
Blair said in a statement: "Mel`s priority through all of this has been that the best interests of his young daughter Lucia and the rest of his children be put first in any decisions made.
"It is with only that in mind that he asked me to approach the District Attorney with a proposal that would bring all of this to an immediate end."
Mel and Oksana, 41, are still involved in a bitter custody battle over Lucia, and the actor currently also has a pending extortion case against his ex-girlfriend, alleging she asked for $15 million to keep audio tapes of him ranting and seemingly making threats under wraps.