Yuri Shafranik was born February 27, 1952, in Karasul, Ishim district of the Tyumen region in a farmer's family. In 1974, he graduated from TII (Tyumen Industrial Institute).
Yuri Shafranik's career started in the oil industry. He moved up through the ranks from a technician to the General Director of industrial group Langepasneftegaz.
Key career facts
- In 1991 Yuri Shafranik was appointed Governor of the Tyumen Region.
- From 1993 till 1996, he was Minister of Fuel and Energy. Shafranik was one of the initiators of creation and active member of the Russian-American intergovernmental commission (the Gore-Chernomyrdin Commission).
- From 1996 till 1997 - Counsellor of the Chairman of the Government of Russian Federation Viktor Chernomyrdin.
- In 1997 - Founder and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Central Fuel Company.
- In 2000 - Yuri Shafranik founded “SoyuzNefteGaz”.
- From 2003 till 2008 - Director of the First Calgary Petroleums.
- Since 2015 - Co-Chairman of the Russian delegation to the Dartmouth Conference.
Yuri Shafranik is a Chairman of the Supreme Mining Council, Chairman of the Union of Oil and Gas Producers of Russia, Chairman of the Committee on Energy Strategy and Development of the Fuel and Energy Complex of the CCI of the RF, Chairman of the Institute of Energy Strategy and President of the World Politics and Resources Foundation.
Yuri Shafranik was awarded the Order of Friendship of Peoples.
Yuri Shafranik is married and has a daughter and a son.