Sidon Dorothea (Dorotheus Sidonius)( One of the most famous ancient astrologers, who worked during the reign of Roman emperor Caligula (12 - 41 AD).)
Comments for Sidon Dorothea (Dorotheus Sidonius)
Biography Sidon Dorothea (Dorotheus Sidonius)
By nationality Hellenized Phoenician, his life, apparently leaked in Egypt. Author astrological poem in five books (so called. "Pentateuch" - "Pentateuch"), translated in the III. the language of Pahlavi, and with him - in Arabic. In this poem discussed and Hadean natal astrology, were given the principles of the system houses horoscope sign - House (probably the first time in the history of astrology). This book had an enormous impact on both the ancient astrology (especially at Mathern, Maxim, Hephaestion, Rhetore, hermetic literature), and in the medieval (Arabic, Persian, Jewish, Latin, Byzantine and their derivatives). The original Greek poem is not entirely preserved, have reached us only fragments, and quotations and retellings of other authors.
Dorotheus Sidonius. Carmen Astrologicum (Pentateuch). / Translated by David Pingree. - Leipzig: BGTeubner, 1976.
1. Sphujidhvaja. The Yavanajataka. / Edited, translated and commented by D. Pingree.
2. Project Hindsight. Companion to the Greek Track. / Compiled by R. Schmidt & R. Hand.
3. Pingree D. Dorotheus of Sidon. / / Dictionary of Scientific Biography. Vol.XV.
4. Astrological Dictionary.
5. Becker U. Lexicon der Astrologie.
6. Lewis JR. The Astrology Encyclopedia.
7. Saplin A. Astrological Collegiate Dictionary.
8. Bonatti H. Classical astrology.